The Drawing Board

Some rough draft stories, favorite blog posts other stuff.

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Assignment 7

This assignment was to write a one page dialog.  


“I can’t do this.”  She looked hard at the wall in front of her, not ready to turn around.
“Well…you don’t have to.”  He sounded sincere, but she was still shaken.
She reached into the drawer and pulled it back out.  “No, I can.”
“Whenever you’re ready.”  His voice was so warm, but it chilled her.
She looked at him, then.
“I will do it, but I don’t want to see you ever again.  Ever.”  The edge in her voice could have cut glass.
“Me?  Is this about me?”  He seemed honestly confused, and for a moment she doubted her decision.  She took a deep breath and ran this wrenching scene through her head one more time, marveling at the distance she could feel from this close.
“No, but you’re the reason we’re all here, and the reason this has to be done.  I will be working hard to forget this day, from the moment I walk out that door, and having your face around to remind me…well…” Her voice caught, she trembled.  “Let’s just fucking get this over with.”
“Yeah, let’s…and, hey…you know I’m sorry, you know I would change it if I could.”  He reached for her hand, but she stepped back, taking aim.
“It’s time,” she said. “Take off the blindfold. I want him to look me in the eye.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home