Assignment 9
This assignment was to write a possible opening paragraph for my final story, and then write it again from a different point of view.
Part I
I wrapped my hand around the gracefully curving neck of the faucet. Staring down into the whiteness of the large oval tub, I finally felt the metal change from cold to warm—then rapidly to hot. I snapped out of my reverie and added some cold to the mix, then stood. A deep sigh as I added a generous dollop of dark, syrupy purple: Soothing Sleep Lavender, promised the label. While the basin filled, I walked through the cool darkness of the rest of my house, checking every lock twice more each. The smooth wood floors creaked beneath my bare feet, in all the familiar spots, and I tried not to let my peripheral vision catch my reflection on the black of the windows. He had said he would be back. Each night since that one—which had been full of raging, both within the safe walls of my home and without—I had lain awake until dawn, listening for his footsteps. Knowing that he was capable of great stealth I mostly worried that the first thing I would hear would be the cocking of his gun.
Second verse, same as the first…only in third person.
She wrapped her hand around the gracefully curving neck of the faucet. Staring down into the whiteness of the large oval tub, she finally felt the metal change from cold to warm—then rapidly to hot. She snapped out of her reverie and added some cold to the mix, then stood. A deep sigh as she added a generous dollop of dark, syrupy purple: Soothing Sleep Lavender, promised the label. While the basin filled, she walked through the cool darkness of the rest of my house, checking every lock twice more each. The smooth wood floors creaked beneath her bare feet, in all the familiar spots, and she tried not to let her peripheral vision catch her reflection on the black of the windows. He had said he would be back. Each night since that one—which had been full of raging, both within the safe walls of her home and without—she had lain awake until dawn, listening for his footsteps. Knowing that he was capable of great stealth she mostly worried that the first thing she would hear would be the cocking of his gun.


1 Comments:
Thanks for the reminder, d-man! sheesh. I hate big decisions.
I think I'm going with an entirely different story, and doing it in 3rd person. I do prefer to write in first person, but this story just needs third...
Post a Comment
<< Home