Moe Review
I knew it was going to be a great show when the play opened with a guy listening to the blues and smoking a real live cigarette. I could feel the potential energy buzzing, popping, ready to burst out of the props around him. And it did, in fact, in the form of five guys (all named Moe, coincidentally) who were there to whip this sorry, sad man into shape. From the moment they appeared, the play became a fast and furiously fun venture into the life of a serially single man in 1940s New York City. Nomax is resistant to change, a stubborn man, who believes that drinking away has days might just be the path to happiness. Each of the five Moes has a different take on what Nomax should be doing, but they all agree on a few things he shouldn’t be doing, and by about the fourth song he is starting to consider their wisdom.
Even thought I knew the cast was only six men, their energy and presence were so big that I was startled to realize they really only numbered six.
It was impossible not to tap a foot and many people even clapped along with the beat (I’m more of an observer, myself, but I was grinning like a fool). There may have been a sing-along at one point, and I even got my moment on stage, but you’ll have to go see the show if you want to know how! That’s a dirty trick, isn’t it? While I do accept bribes, it would be a much better choice to just go see the show.
“Five Guys Named Moe” is running at the Pioneer Theatre Company through May 20th.
For tickets or more information call the box office at (801) 581-6961 or visit their website, www.pioneertheatre.org.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home